Total Pageviews

Monday, 21 March 2011

244 LBS!!!

Before I got started I went to the doctor, it was past time for my physical anyway. I didn’t own a scale so I didn’t know how much I weighed. I stepped on the scale.  I weighed 244 lbs. 20 lbs more than when I gave birth to my child!!!!! And I was huge then! I cried in my car after I left the office. I was shocked! I knew I was fat, I knew I had gained weight in the last several years, but omg, it seemed impossible that I could weigh that much. That number was so overwhelming and embarrassing that it just increased my resolve to change my life. So I started...
As I mentioned in an earlier post, (sorry things aren’t totally in chronological order) at first I had a hard time finding the time to do the Pilates. I finally decided that the only consistent time I had was going to be time I created. I started getting to bed and having the light out by 11 every night. This allowed me to set the alarm to go off at 6:30 every morning to do the Pilates. I should say that I have always been a night person. I like to stay up late, and I hate getting up early in the morning, I love sleeping in as late as possible, always have.  I knew that I wanted to do this and with a young child and a husband that worked all the time I would need to get creative if I wanted to make it happen. Besides, really what was I doing while I was staying up late that was more important that taking steps to get healthy? I would spend about 15 mins convincing myself to get up. Then I would get up, go to the bathroom, get my bottle of water, which was already in the bathroom waiting for me,  put on my t-shirt, roll out my towel beside my bed and get to the Pilates. The 20 min work out was HARD!! As I mentioned there were many moves that I couldn’t do at all and there weren't any of them that I could do the number that the DVD wanted me to. I was sweating and puffing, and I liked it. I did this pretty much 5 days a week. The weekends I may or may not get it done, but I definitely wasn’t getting up early to do it. If I made time in the day, good, if not, I was o.k. with that.
I was trying to generally be more active. I would do some arm exercises in the evening while I was watching t.v. or when I was on the computer.  I would also try to play more physically with my child when the opportunity presented itself.
As far as following a “diet” goes, I wasn’t. I was watching what I ate. I was trying to be more realistic with my portions and really evaluating everything I was eating. I dished out what I thought was a reasonable about of food for each meal onto my plate at the beginning and that was what I ate. My goal was to eat until I was no longer hungry, not until I was full. I wouldn’t always finish my plate but even when I did, I rarely wanted more. I decided in my mind that that was my portion and that was it. If I really, really loved whatever I had just eaten, I reminded myself I could have it for lunch tomorrow, or again in a few days. This was not the last time in my life I would be eating whatever it was that I loved soooo much. I didn’t need to eat as if it was.
Because I have never been a big fan of cooking, and really am not that creative at it, I wasn’t going to be making 2 sets of meals. A “diet” one for me and another for my husband and child. Not only did I want to set the example for my child that healthy weight was achieved by eating in moderation, not by depriving yourself, but I also knew that if I was depriving myself I would rebel and say to hell with it, this is too hard and give up. I wanted to figure out how to do this in a way that I could live with for the rest of my life. So I was eating all kinds of things. Because the worst part of cooking for me was deciding what to cook I had always asked for suggestions. A few days a week it would be husbands turn to choose what he wanted and a few days a week would be my child’s. I didn’t stop this so we were eating everything that had always been eating. 
I had always made sure there was at least one vegetable with every meal. Usually a Cesar salad, but sometimes we would have another vegetable as well. I got into the habit of having a cup of tea with milk, no sugar, while I preparing dinner, I glass of water before dinner and of course a glass of skim milk with dinner. The tea and water helped me to feel full and not overeat.

No idea why some of this post is spaced differently than the rest... sigh...Here's hoping you all can still read it...lol.

2 comments:

  1. Pardon my Grease, but "Tell me more, Tell me more." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wake-up call. It would only have gotten worse had you not gone to the doctor and gotten weighed so now you know and now you can do something about it. Hang in there. We are in it with you.

    ReplyDelete